132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Director of Accounting
Berkshire Community College (BCC) has the distinction of being the first community college established in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Nestled in the scenic Berkshire Hills, our nearly 2,000 students have access to a wide range of career and transfer programs on our newly renovated campus. Occupying a scenic 180-acre property, just minutes from downtown Pittsfield, Massachusetts, BCC provides students from a broad range of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds with an intimate learning environment, small class sizes, and much opportunity for interaction with faculty. Berkshire County was home to many forward-thinking historic figures including, W.E.B. DuBois, Susan B. Anthony, and Elizabeth (Mumbet) Freeman, all of whom were pioneers of social justice. The Berkshires contain both rural and urban elements, combining a beautiful natural environment with world class museums and other cultural opportunities. Pittsfield and Berkshire County continue to evolve, with immigrants from over 70 countries now calling the Berkshires their home. BCC seeks to recruit diverse employees who embrace, as well as demonstrate, a commitment to diversity and inclusion and whose experiences and perspectives model the opportunities and success derived from a college education.
Assist in the operation of the Business Office by supporting the financial analysis, financial reporting and accounting functions. Prepare financial reports, maintain accounting records and recommend improvements to accounting procedures. Review accounting policies and procedures, make recommendations for improvement, assist in republishing and educating campus on compliance. Reconcile bank accounts, support external audits, support State reporting and other general related duties associated with a Business Office.
- Assists the Controller in preparation of required State, Federal, and Board of Trustees reporting; and in the month-end and annual closing including account analysis and reconciliation including actual vs budget.
- Participates in the annual independent audit of the College's and other related audit reports, including preparation of audit schedules and year end adjustment entries.
- Performs daily supervision of Accounts Payable functions at the College to produce timely and accurate invoice processing and payments, problem resolution, schedules check runs and approves manual check requests. 1099 tax reporting to the IRS
- Maintains current working knowledge of fiscal software such as Colleague: AP, AR, GL, PO, and Argos report writing.
- Assist Budget Managers with budget question and provide training on Self Service
- Assist Budget Managers with understanding and resolving budget variances
- Reconcile State appropriation activity with general ledger and cash accounts.
- Reconcile multiple bank accounts with funding sources from multiple governmental agencies and public and private grants
- Reconcile financial records, interfund transactions and bank statements.
- Support and develop other accountants in business office in accounting, reconciliation and using accounting software and Excel enhance automation of workflow.
Bachelor's degree in accounting or a closely related field, master's degree preferred, and five (5) years of progressively responsible accounting experience. Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and meet ongoing deadlines and perform all essential functions of position.
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of accounting data, draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others. Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to interpret & implement regulations related to financial operations and computerized accountings systems and spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of procurement processing, accounts payable, billing and account collection, compensation, union contracts and payroll.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of State HRCMS payroll system
- Knowledge of state accounting procedures including terminology.
- Knowledge of MMARS appropriation system
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of governmental accounting.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations governing Federal Grant Administration
- Ability to understand, apply, and explain Student Billing policies and procedures.
- Source of Funding: State Funded
- Salary: $95,000 - $105,000 per year; Full-time; Benefited
- Area of Assignment: Administration and Finance, Business Office
- Effective Date: May 2023
Pursuant to the Clery Act of 1990 a copy of Berkshire Community College's security report is available on the BCC Website.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements: Berkshire Community College employees must be in full compliance with the Employee COVID Vaccination Policy. For information about this policy, please see the COVID page of the College website.
BCC is committed to providing an inclusive learning and working environment that values the diverse backgrounds of all people and encourages applications from individuals whose experiences and perspectives model the opportunities and success derived from a college education.
Berkshire Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on basis of race, creed, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, maternity leave, military service, and national origin in its education programs or employment. All inquiries concerning application of the above should be directed to Affirmative Action Officer, and Coordinator of Title IX and Section 504, Susan B. Anthony Annex Building, Room A19.
Position is posted until filled. To apply, submit your cover letter and resume by visiting the Berkshire Community College Job Board.
*Please mention you saw this ad on BusinessSchoolJobs.*
Business School Jobs in Popular Cities