132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Associate Director, Business Development
Reporting to the Managing Director of Strategic Partnerships in the Office for Technology Development (OTD), the Associate Director, Business Development will be responsible for a range of activities related to the development and commercialization of promising Harvard technologies. Primary responsibilities include developing innovative strategies for the commercialization of Harvard technologies; supporting the establishment of strategic partnerships relating to computational and data science technologies; identifying and pursuing high-profile commercial opportunities within a portfolio, including strategy and business development for a portfolio of computational and data science research technologies (managed by the Managing Director or Director of Business Development (DBD), serving as the lead in providing business development services and specifically including business development strategy for computational and data science technologies to assigned faculty members under supervision of the Managing Director or DBD, and assisting in the organization of education and outreach activities that help elevate the visibility of the department among internal and external stakeholders.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, managing Fellows (Harvard graduate students and postdoctoral fellows) in the review and assessment of the commercial potential of invention disclosures from research conducted by Harvard faculty; preparing, drafting, and approving technology profiles (by the Fellows) in order to market Harvard technologies; performing due diligence and market research with respect to identifying potential licensees and industrial partners for Harvard technologies; interacting with Harvard OTDís IP Team in support of filing and prosecution of patent applications; working closely with OTDís Technology Transactions team in the general execution of agreements; under supervision of the Managing Director or DBD, negotiating and executing select agreements related to commercial opportunities, such as options, confidentiality, and inter-institutional agreements, industry sponsored research, licenses, and collaboration agreements; and providing other services to certain assigned faculty members. Position will also interact with peer institutions and other academic institutions, as well as representatives from industry, as appropriate. Other responsibilities may include: partnering with OTDís Director of Communications regarding web-content and email distributions (e.g., technology newsletter), organization of OTD networking events and outreach, management of business development consultants.
A minimum of eight years of relevant experience. PhD or advanced degree in Biomedical Sciences required, plus two years of experience in business development in industry or academia.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
General understanding of intellectual property, business acumen, legal agreements, and client relationship building required. Startup experience and/or an MBA degree, a plus. Preference given to those with at least 2 years of direct experience in developing, marketing, and commercialization of computational and/or data science technologies as well as experience with managing complex and sensitive sponsored research and license agreements. Strong interpersonal and communication skills; adept with information gathering, database management, and ability to prioritize tasks. Ability to select, set, and meet appropriate goals from among competing demands and work independently within a team environment. Ability to produce polished written documents and presentations, demonstrated analytical skills and creative problem-solver.
Harvard University supports a hybrid workplace model which will actively support some remote work. Specific days and schedules for on-site work and remote work will be discussed during the interview process. Please note hybrid workers must reside in a state where Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA).†††
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage . Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the Universityís COVID-19 Information Website .††
We invite you to visit Harvardís Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
361060 Administrative Manager
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Office of the President and Provost
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Appointment End Date
Full time. Monday through Friday. 35 hours per week.†
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
*Please mention you saw this ad on BusinessSchoolJobs.*
Business School Jobs in Popular Cities