132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Technical Programmer (Systems Administrator)
Within Information Technology Services (ITS) the Systems Operations team is responsible maintaining and operating the on-premise data centers and the multi-cloud virtual data center and collaboration infrastructures. Rhode Island College is a regional comprehensive public college that serves approximately 6,400 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students through its five schools: the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Feinstein School of Education and Human Development, the School of Business, the School of Nursing and the School of Social Work. Established in 1854, we are Rhode Island’s first public institution of higher education. The college is located on a beautiful 180-acre suburban campus in the vibrant city of Providence, and has satellite locations at the Rhode Island Nursing Education Center in Providence’s Innovation District and the Rhode Island College Workforce Development Hub in Central Falls, RI. We are known throughout the Northeast for high-quality academic programs, small class sizes, personalized, hands-on learning experiences, world-class faculty, and high value compared to other four-year institutions.’
Assist with the maintenance of the College server and storage infrastructure in support of college-wide information systems.
- Install, update, upgrade and troubleshoot data center hardware, hypervisors, operating systems, applications, and system software.
- Perform system administration functions both corrective, preventive, and pro-active in the areas of configuration, performance and capacity management.
- Manage the configuration and performance of system and network services including but not limited to Directory Services, DNS, DHCP, malware protection and data backup services.
- Assist with analyzing current and planned network usage, establishing trends, and identifying bottlenecks.
- Assist with developing procedures and operations and installation documentation for installed systems and applications.
- Assist with the planning and development of new projects and systems including researching and recommending new technologies and server and infrastructure equipment.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining server and storage infrastructure security.
- Coordinate with vendor service personnel during installation, upgrade, repairs and other maintenance of data center facilities.
- Function independently or as a member of an information technology team as assigned.
- Participate in committees, working groups, councils, etc. in support of information technology initiatives.
- Assume project leadership role in the implementation of selected data center projects as assigned.
- Provide backup for duties of other Technical Programmers and other staff members within the data center area.
- Respond to emergencies outside of normal working hours as needed, both remote and on-site.
- Train and supervise student employees and lower-level network/telecom technicians as assigned and assist in evaluating training needs.
- Maintain an active commitment to professional development.
- Perform other related duties as required or as assigned by the Manager, Network and Telecommunications – Technical Services.
- Provide related administrative functions and help desk support; as required, work, non-standard shifts, and provide on-call, telephonic or pager support.
- As part of training, perform functions normally assigned to unit and project although to a lesser degree.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Demonstrated competence with network, server, virtualization, and storage technology; personal computer hardware, software and peripherals, and the uses of information technology to support organizational objectives.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, administrators, students, and colleagues.
- Availability for emergency call-in and ability to travel overnight for training and support locations within Rhode Island and surrounding states.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
Experience: Four years of experience in the installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of data center hardware, hypervisors and software systems of which two years’ experience shall be in the system administration of an enterprise-level data center infrastructure.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or closely related field.
- Current and relevant certifications in the area of server operating systems, storage technologies, virtualization technologies and/or cloud technologies.
- Demonstrated ability in providing a high level of system reliability and availability.
- Experience with Cisco equipment and/or Unix/Linux
The position requires significant lifting, moving, and/or installation of moderately heavy equipment (such as computers) and other related information technology components.
The College requires that all applicants and employees be able to perform the essential functions of the job and will explore reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity institution that values and is committed to inclusion and expanding the diversity of its faculty and staff, the College invites members of protected classes, including minorities and persons with disabilities, to identify themselves as such at the time of application.
*Please mention you saw this ad on BusinessSchoolJobs.*
Business School Jobs in Popular Cities