132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Patient Business Associate
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Revenue Cycle Department, PBS-Outpatient Business Services unit is looking for a Patient Business Services Associate. Responsible for providing the estimated expense for outpatient procedures, to patients on a pre-service basis, in order to obtain out of pocket cost.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Appropriately identify the patient’s benefit level in order to determine cost share out of pocket expense for upcoming services
- Communicate with patients their cost share expectations in order to accept and collect payment upfront
- Verify and update patient demographic and insurance information as needed
- Advise alternative payment options when needed
- Provide Insurance Verification where coverage changes have been made
- Advise clinic staff of patient out of pocket cost for front end collection efforts
- Monitor, interpret and advise management regarding changes to third party payer system discrepancies, activities and trends
- Contact appropriate third party representatives for information and assistance with determining benefit level when online resources are not available
- Represent the unit with limited authority regarding general administrative and operational matters on an as need basis
- As part of a call center team member, respond to complex estimated expense inquiries from patients, whether setting up financial arrangements, or working with third party carrier representatives in order to make clarification of benefit level counseling and determination
- Assist in development of unit policies and procedures including identification and testing of potential benefit collection resources
- Investigate discrepancies; take appropriate corrective action when necessary ensuring compliance
- Assist in training new employees
- Attend applicable training initiatives which include but are not limited to registration sessions, third party seminars, and in-house training
- Incorporate and practice Lean principles into daily work
- Function as a collaborative and contributing team member
- Demonstrate outstanding customer service skills
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least two years of progressively complex registration or billing & third party payer experience.
- Proficiency in use of computers and software, including Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple items simultaneously and produce high-quality work in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated experience efficiently and professionally handling and protecting items confidential in nature.
- Demonstrated outstanding customer service skills.
- Ability to function as a collaborative and contributing team member.
- Demonstrated ability work in a team environment, build trust in the working relationships with other staff and faculty.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of University of Michigan and UMHS policies, procedures and as well as regulatory requirements.
- Experience with UMHS systems including MiChart, Outlook, Webdenis, as well as other payer websites.
- Registration, Hospital, or Professional Fee billing experience within the last 5 years.
- Call Center or direct patient contact experience preferred.
- This is a remote position where the staff member will work from home. In-home high speed internet is a requirement for this position and its cost is the responsibility of the staff member. Your internet plan should run at 15 mbps download and 5 mbps upload to prevent common connectivity-related issues. There may be occasions where the staff member may need to report to the business office location, KMS Building - 3621 S. State St. in Ann Arbor, including meetings, training, computer or technology requirements, or to complete work that is not possible to handle remotely. The business location will have space available to reserve onsite work when required or necessary. Computing resources including required software applications, VPN, desktop computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and headset will be provided by the employer. Remote staff are not provided with a mobile phone but are provided with computer telephone and fax technology. Office equipment such as desk, chair, and printer are not provided for remote work. Basic supplies such as paper and pens, are stocked at the business location and are available to remote staff for pick-up should they choose. Unless otherwise agreed upon in advance with the supervisor/manager, additional hardware, software, printing, and cost of office supplies preferred by the staff member, are the responsibility of the employee.
- Technology Skills required include the ability to set-up computer and monitors and connect accessory items such as keyboard, mouse, and headset. Remote computing support is available 24/7 via phone, chat, or ticketing system to all staff members. Staff will be expected to effectively communicate and resolve most computing issues directly with computing support resources and keep their supervisor informed of the progress.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.
*Please mention you saw this ad on BusinessSchoolJobs.*
Business School Jobs in Popular Cities