132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Director of Finance & Business Services - Nonprofit Sustainability Organiza
Full Job Description
We are seeking a Director of Finance and Business Services to lead key operational areas of our growing organization and to support SEI’s mission of building leaders to drive sustainability solutions through education and workforce development. In this role, you will partner with senior leadership in strategic decision-making and operations planning as SEI continues to build capacity to amplify our impacts out in the world. In managing our Accounting/Finance, People Resources, and Administrative Operations departments, you will have a tremendous opportunity to apply financial acumen, HR and operational knowledge, people management, compassion, and creativity in service of maximizing and strengthening the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
SEI is a teams-based, non-profit based in the Bay Area, CA dedicated to building leaders to drive sustainability solutions. For over 24 years, SEI has partnered with schools, communities, and businesses to develop a sustainability leadership pathway from elementary school to early career. Our flagship programs educate and empower students, workers, and emerging professionals to create thriving, resilient communities. We are proud to provide a collaborative work environment filled with people who are driven to make a difference in our communities!
Strategic Planning, Risk Management, and Execution
- Work with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and Impact Director to establish strategic goals by gathering and providing pertinent financial and operational information, and evaluating current and future staffing needs.
- Identify and assess trends and options, proactively call out areas of organizational risk/exposure (including HR and financial compliance), identify real and potential issues, and in consultation with the executive leadership team, choose a course of action and appraise outcomes.
- Define and implement key performance indicators and strategic objectives for the Business Services Team and, as appropriate, the entire organization. Present to SEI’s Board.
- Oversee and carefully steward SEI’s financial resources, including all accounts and assets. Accomplish financial objectives by actively participating in and overseeing SEI Accounting/Finance department efforts including the annual organizational budget and audit and regular reporting back to the SEI Executive Team and its Board.
- Ensure active communication between Accounting/Finance and the extended Leadership Team to enable dynamic and informed decision-making related to the organization’s cash flow and staffing planning/forecasting.
- Plan, direct, implement, monitor, and evaluate expenditures in each department to achieve financial objectives. Provide final approval on all SEI expenditures, including payrolls.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations, including, but not limited to tax laws, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), federal acquisition regulations (FAR), cost accounting standards (CAS), insurance policy management, and organizational compliance.
- Oversee the People Resources Department (PRD) and ensure the development and execution of people/human resource strategies in support of the overall business plan and direction of SEI. With the PRD, identify and work to remove systems of oppression in all aspects of SEI, internally and externally.
- Continually troubleshoot complex human resource situations and direct PRD on processes to solve. Handle or delegate discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with SEI policy.
- Oversee the administrative Operations Department and consult with the Operations Manager to ensure appropriate planning, top-level methods, and communications are executed. Provide direction for legal procurement and insurance services.
- Oversee the work and schedules of direct reports, and provide advice and direction. Conduct feedback and performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Communicate new directives, policies, or procedures to direct reports; for major changes, meet with Business Services Team to explain, answer questions, and maintain staff morale.
- Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field and 10+ years experience in executive leadership positions, or MBA/ MPA with 7+ years of experience, that includes broad financial and non-profit operations management experience.
- Demonstrated ability over time to take on a greater breadth of responsibility and to provide sound and ethical financial, business, and human resources counsel to executive leadership.
- Possess appropriate training & certifications for serving in an HR oversight role.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position accounting/finance, people resources, and operations discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Advanced individual and team communication and collaboration skills, including active listening, appreciative inquiry, empathy, open-mindedness, respect, clarity, and concision.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and in particular, to addressing racism and racial equity across an organization. Willing to continue education and training in the broader fields of inclusion and workplace diversity across all dimensions of equity and build organizational culture and practice accordingly.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to SEI’s mission.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- This is a full-time position based out of our main office in San Rafael, CA with a flexible hybrid work schedule
- Paid sick and vacation time, 14 paid holidays per year, comp time
- A starting salary of $135,000
- SEI-paid health insurance; dental, vision, chiropractic plan
- 403(b) Retirement Plan, with employer match after one year
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
We seek candidates that share SEI’s commitment to equity and environmental justice, who share a commitment to work and learn within an anti-oppression framework. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply. SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity. We believe that a wide array of perspectives contributes to creative climate solutions where all communities thrive. We strive to reflect diverse communities, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit our Careers Page and fill out the application form. A resume and cover letter are required. SEI requires all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with exceptions made for health and/or religious reasons.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $135,000.00 per year
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Master's (Preferred)
- Executive Leadership: 10 years (Preferred)
- Nonprofit Operations: 7 years (Preferred)
Willingness to travel:
- 25% (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations
*Please mention you saw this ad on BusinessSchoolJobs.*